Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The word full of complications in a world soo complicated


"Life ends after marriage"
This has been echo-ing in my head since the minute this girl from class said it. She got married two years back and has now returned to complete her degree.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage ~ Lao Tzu

Marriage is a necessity but not a compulsion.To be loved and to love someone means a lot to every human being. It is the most beautiful thing after all but it is the most scariest thing ever. How with age pressure increases, and how after marriage life changes.
From sharing a bed to sharing a life, one sacrifices personal space. My friend once said "You have no other option but to stay in the same room even if you're upset with your husband"

What I don't understand is, why one sees rainbows and butterflies while being in a relationship and have a totally different way of living after marriage. I agree that life cant be a fairy tale; it includes sharing bills and responsibilities. What I see missing is the essence of marriage as society has changed our perspective in alot of ways and to make a marriage work, its best not to conform. 'The gifts and fake smiles and the dinners at relatives every night.'

The definition of love is respect and freedom.Until I dont find what I believe in, I choose to remain single. I dont need a man for my happiness but a partner who will have faith in me, who will believe in me, who would know that Im capable of doing things, and that I dont need to change my last name just because Im his wife.
Whats meant to be will happen but trust me this post isnt my utopia speaking.

1 comment:

  1. Dear mad world,
    I completely agree with your blog post. I like to think of marriage as a kind of life-long project (like those in school/college) where both partners have to divide the work in a reasonable way, do their best independently, respect each other's contribution, and also perform amiably as a team. Maybe my take is too scholarly, or the project metaphor is laughable, but well it's the only way I can think about it.
    Also, how did I find your blog...I just typed "Aik Alif" in google to listen to it again, and I found your post with the translation as a top result. Just adding that I'm the "Hareem" who translated part of the song... believe me I'm glad that you acknowledged it =) most other pages simply copy it off as their own. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete